Friday, November 19, 2004

How programming languages have warped my writing

I love it!

I'd add...

* Because of Visual Basic, I never end sentences with any form of punctuation whatsoever, unless I'm continuing on the next line, in which case I add an underscore

I can't think of anything for PHP! Bummer.

rentzsch.com: How programming languages have warped my writing: "How programming languages have warped my writing

* Because of HyperTalk, I am never sure how to spell highlight. I always want to spell it 'hilite'.
* Because of AppleScript, I always want to write 'thru' instead of 'through'.
* Because of Java, I'm inclined to write 'Cristina Liberty' instead of 'Cristina and Liberty'.
* Because of perl, I assume folks on IM understand '^foo^bar' means 'replace 'foo' with 'bar' on the previous line'.
* Because of C , I assume that folks on IM understand '==' means 'I agree with your previous statement'.
* Because of Lisp, I assume (my friends (have no problems (de-nesting parentheses))).
* Because of (ba)sh, I take care in my use of single quotes, double quotes and accent-quotes. Yes, when I write with single quotes, I do really intend for the reader not to expand the string in-place.
* Because of programming in general, my outgoing email is always brace-balanced."

No comments: