Monday, November 15, 2004

New ICANN Policy Affects Domain Transfers

New ICANN Policy Affects Domain Transfers - SitePoint Open Source Blog: "Based on a new ICANN policy effective Friday, November 12, 2004 -- domain name service providers are changing the way they handle domain transfer requests.

Prior to this policy, a majority of domain name providers would not complete a transfer request(s) without specific confirmation of the current domain owner's desire to do so. Now under new rules, after five days of attempts to confirm the transfer with the domain holder, the domain will be transferred unless the domain is 'locked'.

Locking a domain prevents changes to contact information and name servers as well as barring domain transfers even if you do not respond within the new specified time frame.

Domain locking should be free and is most likely accessible via your vendor's web interface. For example, logging into your account at Network Solutions, EasyDNS or GoDaddy and managing your individual domains has locking as an option.

This would also be a good time to insure the contact information for each of your domains is accurate and includes a current, valid email address where you can be reached for business regarding your domain."

-- I myself am in the middle of a domain transfer, and am having problems. Catalog.com, my current and soon-to-be former registrar (too expensive!) has my domains set as "locked" but does not have an option to unlock them. I am trying to transfer one domain away from Catalog.com, and it won't let me. I've had a trouble ticket in with Catalog.com for days now, asking them to unlock the domain so I can transfer it away from them. No response yet. (Another reason I'm leaving them - horrifically slow customer service). I'm transferring all of my domains to PurplePenguins.net. :)

No comments: